JumpJet Rex will already be known to the PC gamers among us, as upon it’s Steam release last year it enjoyed great success. Now it’s time for the loveable 8-bit T-Rex to try his luck on Xbox One, with an April 29th release date closing in.
JumpJet Rex, developed by TreeFortress, is described as a punishing old-school 2D platformer where players take control of a Tyrannosaurus Rex with extraterrestrial jump boots to save dino-kind from extinction by a giant asteroid. I wonder if you know, back in the day, this was actually attempted by a T-Rex, who failed? Probably not… moving swiftly on, check on the launch trailer.
- Killer Old School Gameplay – Remember when platformers were so tough that people would hurt their hands playing, but feel amazing after getting past a level? Tree Fortress does…ahh memories. Luckily these reminiscences can be relived in JumpJet Rex’s strenuous platforming challenges and retro boss battles.
- Co–op Mode – Saving all of dino–kind from a giant asteroid barreling down on Earth is a pretty tall task for a T–Rex with tiny arms, so players will be able to team up with a friend totake on challenges. Teammates must coordinate efforts to avoid mass obliteration.
- Retro Platformer Flare – JumpJet Rexfeatures beautiful hand–drawn 16–bit graphics and classic chip tune music that transfers dino lovers back to the 2–D glory days of the early‘90s.
- Secrets and Collectibles – With dozens of items stashed across the galaxy and many secret areas to discover, JumpJet Rex offers plenty to do for the treasure hunters in the room!
- Replayability – With a time challenge twist,players can replay every level multiple times to prove their platforming prowess. Explorers can take it up a notch by racing against their own ghosts – previous versions of themselves, or challenge friends to see who can post the best times!
- Customization and Upgrades – No two T–Rex’s are alike and fans will be able to customize their character and upgrade their appearance with the loot they collect on their travels.
- Arena Battle – In the future JumpJet Rex will add Arena Battle, where up to four friends can battle it out for dino supremacy. Combatants will shred their sharp claws and teeth into other Rexes in battle modes Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and more.
- Party Games – After official launch JumpJet Rex will add Party Games that will allow friends to compete in a variety of fun mini games. Groups can share their combined scores to the global leaderboards and prove themselves kings of the dinosaurs.
I personally have a real soft-spot for nostalgic titles such as this, and can’t wait to get stuck into it. We’re hands on with the game now, so stay tuned to Xbox Sector for our first impressions, gameplay videos and of course the all important review which will go live on the day of release.